Wednesday, July 08, 2009

True Love (and other lies)

Thats the name of the 344-pages book that i've been reading for the past few weeks. On my usual standard, I can finish a 400-pages book in 3 days (usually less). I mean...thats just normal, isn't it? For non-busy-salary-earners, they should be able to read a 400-pages book in less than a week. Well, my friend Delle can finish Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire, cover to cover, overnight. Top that!

The reason for me not being able to finish the book within my standard timeline, despite the fact that I have plenty of time, is becoz its just too boring. I have 2 more books lying untouched on my desk at home but I just can't start with them yet, at least not without finishing this one. Its just the unwritten policy of mine which every book must be read cover to cover before starting the new one. This is just to ensure that every spending on books will not be wasted.

I bought this book at Street Mall in Cyberjaya where they sell stuff on corridors every Friday, and they were all cheap and discounted. It costed me only Rm18. So why is it boring? Well becoz everything was obvious. There was no sense of suspense and intense in this book. Its a straight forward story. Reading on a page can give u the idea of whats going to happen in the next 20 pages.

Ok....I'm not trying to be a spoiler or anything like that. Believe u me, if u read this book, u can tell yourself. It was about a woman named Claire that met a guy on a plane on her way to London, from New York. The guy's name was Jack. Claire was going to London on a work-related assignment and at the same time wanted to visit her bestfriend, Maddy who also lived in London. So...during her hours in the flight with Jack, they got connected, sparks was in the air, and Jack had told Claire that he was going to London to end his relationship with his girlfriend. So..... do I have to tell you who was Jack's girlfriend? Aww come on....

So on several chapters later, when Claire had spent a few days in London with Jack, Maddy was no where to be contacted. And suddenly one night, she called. She was devastated. She just broke up with her boyfriend....guess who? Aww come on.... It cannot be more obvious.

On a totally separate scene in a different chapter, a few days before thanksgiving, where Claire had informed Jack earlier on that she'll be spending it alone, while on her way back to her apartment from work, Claire had been greeted by a stranger. She didnt dare look at the guy's face as her experience had taught her that the pervert might do something more extreme if they made eye-contacts (the writer had tried to make this scene to have a suspence effect, while the actual impact was really the opposite) . So when she was about to open her apartment's door, the guy touched her hand and she reflexively assoulted him with a stun gun. Well...who do you think the guy really was? Oh please.... surely you can tell.

As conclusion, I have no interest on finishing this book, or at least I will do it in a very, very, very, very....slow way. Maybe 1 page a day.

1 comment:

Jafiq said...

How does one writes so long? Teach me?